Thursday, November 25, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!
Post-call today, but thankfully I got some sleep last night in the callroom (ever notice how you NEVER sleep well despite having no pages? It's like trying to sleep with a grenade stuffed into your pants, not knowing when it will blow). Got out early today.
I'd like to reflect on life. On things I take for granted most of the time, especially on days I bitch and whine.
I'm thankful for my wonderful family (of course, I'd never say that to their faces, especially my dear thick-skinned sista). Dear, dear friends, who despite being half a world away, are still close at heart. Friends here, who have helped me keep my sanity (and gain pounds, what with our 'Eat more get fat slogan'). By the grace of God, my career and the chain of events that led me to here, now. Of course, my health. My sight, my senses. My experiences in life thus far. I'm thankful for the chance to make a difference in my patients' lives. For the people I've met, the privilege of being able to hold a dying person's hand.
And of course, I'm thankful for Veronica.

I'd like to share this prayer, by Abigail Van Buren (Dear Abby):

O Heavenly Father:
We thank Thee for food and remember the hungry.
We thank Thee for health and remember the sick.
We thank Thee for friends and remember the friendless.
We thank Thee for freedom and remember the enslaved.
May these remembrances stir us to service.
That Thy gifts to us may be used for others.
Amen.