Monday, September 26, 2005

Dogsat for a friend over the weekend. I've always been a dog person. My favourites? Beagles and pugs. So anyway, when Yvonne, a surgeon friend from Singapore, asked if I'd look after her dog while they went fishing, I jumped at the chance.
While it was fun looking after Fly, a mutt (perhaps with some collie blood in her?), it had me thinking twice about buying a dog. It's one thing having a dog outdoors in a kennel. It's another having a hairy dog shedding all over the carpet and furniture. Or having her wake you up at 230am with her barking. Or having her bring her toys to you (a frisbee and a piglet doll) with those puppy-dog eyes pleading for you to play with her. Or having to take the dog out for walks, and then having to grab up whatever crap (literally) she deposits. Yeech.
Granted, dogs are major chick-magnets; taking a cute dog for walks attracts females like bees to honey, but I'm sure there are other ways of attracting attention (Now, maybe if I took a dog for a ride dressed in hospital scrubs and having a stethoscope around my neck, all while driving a convertible. Now THAT's attention for you).
I know I've been having baby fever since I saw my nephew in May, but this makes me appreciate my freedom. Not having any dependents, human or otherwise. Not having a bawling, hungry, smelly baby with poopy skidmarks on his diaper, wanting to feed at some unGodly hour.
I'll just pop by Yvonne's place whenever I want to play with her dog. Kinda like how good grandparents have it; go to their kid's place to play with the grandchild, but you get to hand it back at the end of the day.