Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Radiologymalaysia.com

A few weeks ago when I was home, having dimsum breakfast with Alvin, I checked my mailbox and found this email from the editor of radiologymalaysia.com.
I forgot that months ago, I had submitted a story from my blog (well, from my digital diary which preceded my blog actually) for a short story contest about cancer (I did edit my reflections; you might be able to pick up a hint of personal conflict comparing the two). Never mind that being a US resident I didn't qualify for prizes. I just wanted to share that story.
Anyway, that email was a pleasant surprise, for apparently, some people thought my story was pretty good, and scored pretty high marks. And though I didn't win anything, they still put my story on their website (it was easy for me to be nonchalant about the prize; I didn't know then that prizes included iPods and other toys >_<).
Though that event was from early on in my career (I was on oncology; must have been May 2003), I remember the events pretty vividly. I can still picture which room on the 4th floor the patient stayed in. I remember the discussion I had with her parents. And the picture of her son her mother showed me. I remember them well.
By the way, if someone decides to award me with a prize, it's still not too late, you know.... (I'll take a black iPod please)