Monday, March 20, 2006

Today I started my 6-week run in peds endo. Pediatric endocrinology.
Now, bear in mind I'm board-certified in IM. And I graduated in 2001.
So the last time I treated a kid was during my pediatric rotation in August 2000.
My first patient was a 4 month old with failure to thrive.
"Err, doctor, are you sure you know how to hold my baby?"
While examining the infant, I was afraid I was going to break it. Or at the very least, maim. All while pinching his bag-o-nuts trying to feel the family jewels (no, I wasn't trying to be funny. That's what we do).
Trying to recall the developmental milestones was a nightmare as well.
Hmm. So they begin babbling at 6 months. Stranger anxiety 9 months. Talking 12 months. Or was that 16? Smoking 20 months.
This is going to be one long rotation.