Sunday, August 20, 2006

Choppers!

What a surprise! Like every other 30 year old boy I know, I'm fascinated by things that fly. Being here, more so the medical airlift helicopters that come and go. I've drooled over the flightsuits that my emergency medicine colleagues get to wear, and the fact that they get to fly in 3 of our choppers. I've never personally had the chance to go up to the helipad though. The most fun thing I get to do is stick needles into patients' necks.

So, as a birthday surprise, Kris made quite a few calls and planned something for me. Only I didn't know what she was up to.




"Make sure you be able to go at a moment's notice."

Go? Go where? And so today we went. As she took me towards the hospital, I had no idea what she had in mind; I thought it was going to be some boring personalized historical tour or something. Until I looked up and saw one of our choppers. And realized it was that! Got a 45-minute personalized tour of the helipad, choppers. I was like a 5 year old kid at the toystore.



Boy, was I thrilled. The timing couldn't have been better; one chopper landed while another took off while we were there. Took a ton of pictures although a dead battery almost killed things. But the flight nurse was kind enough to give me some of theirs.

Suddenly, my job didn't seem all that interesting anymore.