Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Year That Was


As 2006 draws to an end, I think about what this fateful year brought. I know it's a tacky phrase, but it reminds me yet again, time flies. It really does.

What has this year meant for me? What was special about 2006?

  • I completed my specialty training in internal medicine, and moved on to my fellowship. Something that was a bit of a leap, since when I started my medical journey 10 years ago, I thought I'd get my Dr title, come out and work as a GP and start a family. Who would have thought I'd still be in postgrad medical education, up to 7 years after I became a doc?

  • I turned 30. Yea yea yea, aside from the jokes and teases about bald spots, erectile dysfunction and dementia, it really unnerved me, realizing I was no longer in 'my 20s'. Not that being 30 felt physically different but it was a huge psychological milestone. Also, it unnnerved me to think I am now older than those beauty queens and models I drool over.

  • I met a wonderful woman who brings so much laughter, joy and love into my life. She makes me so happy, it makes my head spin. And you know what? It excites me to imagine what the future has in store for us.

  • This was the year that, after having thought otherwise for the last decade, I realize that my future probably lies here on this continent, than the land I call home. Why? Personal reasons. Career reasons. But most of all, looking at how things are going back home, I have sadly come to the realization that Malaysia will never truly be fair to all. That because of retarded politicians and idiots like Khairy, Malaysia will always have a 3rd world mentality. That controlled racism will always thrive. That some will always preach and practice discrimination, corruption, and racial hate. And while they claim to be fighting for their rights, to the extent of waving a weapon and making physical threats to others, they promote double standards, laziness and corruption, and ultimately, downfall of a society. And while that might work for some, that I cannot raise my family in a country in which some of her sons think that others are lesser people than them simply by virtue of race and religion. Simply because their ancestors arrived on a land before mine. And believe me, having missed and yearned for home for so long, this is a hard decision to come by. But for me, it's a necessary decision.
What about the future? Of my resolutions and goals for the new year? Well.

  • Complete my current research project and get a paper outta it.

  • Be more patient. With others as well as myself.

  • Work out in my gym more. I had a pretty good workout schedule. Until I starting dating, and everything exercise related went to hell (now isn't that typical?)

  • Learn to fly the space shuttle.

  • Maybe, finally, will get a tattoo.

Happy New Year, everyone.