Saturday, January 20, 2007

Nü Orleans


Will be going to Nü Orleans next week. Except this time, it's not going to be for a conference. The last time I was there, it was apparently a different place. Nü Orleans, BK. And Nü Orleans, AK. Before and After Katrina.
I've wondered about that place for while, having met some
patients who were translocated by the disaster.
This time, my hospital's going to be sending a medical relief team down. 50-strong. And they specifically asked for some volunteer physicians from my specialty. Hence the upcoming week-long trip.
They say we'll be seeing patients in makeshift tents. And no Sheraton hotel this time... we'll apparently be sleeping in tents too. Hopefully, we'll be able to make a difference there. It'll be a different experience, that's for sure. Coming from our air-conditioned, sterile, extremely efficient system to a disaster zone. Though I've had ample experience with makeshift medicine from the Free Diabetes Clinic that I volunteer at, this will be an eye-opener.

Updates to come...