Thursday, January 25, 2007

Operation Blessing

We had our predeparture briefing yesterday. Because work was busy enough, it's easy to forget we leave tomorrow. But when we went over the details of our expedition, it's becoming clearer now.
Over half the doctors who evacuated New Orleans because of the hurricane have yet to return. This leaves a major healthcare vacuum for the residents who are returning and trying to rebuild their lives. Hopefully, this operation will make a difference.

Our team this time will comprise of 5 doctors, 20 plus nurses and other allied health providers. The last time my hospital sent a team there, they saw 6000 patients. This time, they expect 10,000. 7 days. The numbers are staggering.

Contrary to what we were told earlier, we'll be sleeping with a proper roof over our heads. A makeshift old furniture warehouse, it seems, with 40 bunkbeds and portable toilets. Because of the high crime rate in the city, we'll have armed guards round the clock. I'm expecting to work 12-hour days, so I'm not sure if we get to visit the city proper, but I am at least hoping to meet up with Ben, my buddy from IMU who's doing nephrology there.

Doubt we'll have internet access, so I'll update my blog probably when I get back.

Till then, wish us luck, and keep us in your prayers, that we may provide some comfort and help to the sick and suffering of New Orleans.

Link to the official website here. Donations accepted at the Operation Blessing website.