Sunday, February 25, 2007

Blizzard!


No, I'm not talking about Dairy Queen ice-cream.
The whole midwest is in the middle of a blizzard now. Can't say I remember when it ever got this bad. Started as we were driving home after the interview.
Now, snow, I can handle. But the thing that scares the shit outta me is freezing rain. Yes, it can rain during winter. My mom still has trouble with this concept. Basically, rain falls. But once it reaches the ground, or trees or whatever else it lands on, it freezes over. So, you have pretty little icicles on everything. Trees, cables (causes major damage because things eventually collapse from the excess weight). And roads. If you thought driving on snow-covered roads were tough, try driving on ice. Traction is minimal. It's just nerve-wrecking. Coming back, we saw at least 20 cars and trucks in the ditches, having slid off. Veronica had icicles forming DURING the drive. We took our time and got back in 4 hours instead of the usual 3, at 45 mph. I need to find out where Bond got his Aston Martin with the spiked tires.
Right now, we're all holed up, hibernating at home. Times like this I wish I had a snowblower. Then again, I remember my hand surgeon friend Vincent's tales of the patients he saw in the ER with their fingers all ripped off from snowblower accidents.