Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine

I had grand plans for tonight. I got her roses. And chocolates. And planned to take her to a fancy Italian restaurant. And then I heard over the radio, men spend an average of US$150 today on their dates. And because the wait for a table at the restaurant was 2 hours, we had Vietnamese food instead (they wouldn't take reservations tonight).
I feel like a stingy bastard.
Anyways. Beats those highschool Valentine's day dates, when I'd save up for weeks to buy one miserable stalk of rose that looked more wilted and limp than a noodle.
Hope everyone had a good evening. Whether it was with a significant other, good friends, loved ones, or a good book. Someone I know calls this day Singles' Awareness Day- SAD. However, I for one never thought it to be a bad thing to be single and alone on Valentine's day. And I actually had one very memorable Valentine's day blind date just last year!
I have to say though (I'm sure everyone thinks this of their girlfriends, but I'll say it anyway), I feel blessed to be with Kris. She's an amazing gal; not only is she one of the kindest and most considerate people I know, but she is ever so supportive in my career, personal, social and family life. Sad to say, I know of some friends whose significant others may treat them well, but do not nurture or respect their friendships with other people. And so, you never see them again once they begin dating because their spouses/girlfriends don't want to hang out, or want them to go shopping etc etc. Almost to the extent of being selfish. And as their friends on the other end, it's disappointing.
I'm thankful that Kris makes it a point to know my friends' names, to spend time with them and more important, makes sure I don't neglect my buddies. Or my family.
Happy Valentine's day, everyone!