Monday, December 17, 2007

8 days to Christmas. I catch myself reflecting on random things.
It's surreal, how time flies. And I remember just talking about Christmas 2007 only not too long ago. I had an interesting celebration with family in Halifax, while visiting my kid sister. Everything was closed for the holidays, so we spent much of the time cooped up in her tiny space-efficient apartment. Though the turkey turned out good.
Anyways. I am reminded that this will be our last Christmas in Rochester, seeing that we move to Iowa next year. The last year putting up the same artificial tree, the same ornaments, the same Christmas lights, even the same mistletoe I've used for the last 5 years with no success (until last year!).
I miss my family. I miss my buddies back home too. I'll miss our tradition of midnight mass, followed by supper till 2-3 a.m. I'll miss (or maybe not) the sticky, humid Christmases back home, where we won't have to worry about frostbite. I even miss the really fake-looking Santas (come on, an Indian man with a fake white beard and a deformed square-pillow tummy?). You realize though that often when one misses home, it's really the moments that we miss. For now, with everyone having their families, my gang has broken tradition for some years ago. Things are different.
This year, for the first time in a while, I'll be oncall for Christmas week. I'll be rounding in the hospital while others are cozying up to the fireplace. My diet-Coke will take the place of wine and whisky.
Well, whoever you are, wherever you are, here's to a warm and Merry Christmas to you, one surrounded by love and candy!