Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Merry Christmas, folks.
As I round on my patients on Christmas eve, half missing my family, half missing Kristin (who's on the way back to be with her family), I'm tempted to grumble that I'm on hospital service.
And then I see my patients. I think about Mrs. P, who's been in the hospital for 3 months after post-surgical complications and now ventilator dependent. I think about Mr. V, our guest since June for enterocutaneous fistulae. I think about Mrs. M, who is waiting for a nursing home to take her if she stays stable, or a hospice if she doesn't. I think about Mrs. M, who with her family drove 3 hours to see me, worried to death that I would tell her the thyroid cancer's back (thankfully it isn't).
It's a slap in the face, really. I am reminded of my blessings, and that I have no right to complain, and that I am here to comfort. I am reminded of the significance of this day.
My thoughts will be with my patients this Christmas. My prayers will be for their quick recovery, for their comfort, for peace.
Merry Christmas, folks. And have a Blessed holiday.