Monday, December 31, 2007

Last Day of 2007, Already?

New Year's Eve.
Can't believe 2007 is almost over (even more so for you folks in Malaysia- 14 hours ahead of us). As with the past years, this year has again breezed by. And now, I catch myself wondering what I did this past year.
This has certainly been a memorable one. Professionally and personally. The highlights that stick out:

  • I realized who I'm meant to spend the rest of my life with. And asked her to marry me.
  • I took my harrowing board exams, and became a board-certified endocrinologist.
  • Being apart of the New Orleans Health Recovery week. Experiences that I will remember all my life.
  • My buddy being diagnosed with his cancer. And yet, the love and support everyone has shown in response. He's truly become an inspiration to me.
    My brother's wedding in Malaysia, and being able to be a part of it. And knowing I was going to propose soon thereafter made it more special
  • I published some papers with much guidance from my mentors; papers I probably will never again write after I graduate (out of laziness or lack of motivation?).
What about the next year? Well, I've always said I'm not one for resolutions, but I shall list that for tomorrow's entry. But there are some highlights for 2008:
  • Our weddings. Yes, plural. In the USA (June) and Malaysia (July). Drawing lots for invitations to the Malaysian wedding so email me fast!
  • Leaving the place I've trained and worked for the last 6 years. And going into the 'real' world of medicine. In some ways I'm anxious, perhaps even fearful. After all, practising medicine here is so, easy, so perfect. But it's time I try to fly on my own.
  • Leaving my 'home' here for the last 6 years, and moving to my first self-purchased home. Kris and I are already planning how to decorate it, and where to put the swimming pool (kidding!).
  • Finally buying my silver Mercedes-Benz SLK. It's just a matter of time.
  • Seeing my kid sister graduate from medical school.
Well, we'll see what the year brings. In the meantime, a few hours to the new year. And to you guys on the other side of the world, Happy New Year 2008!!
(And do party safe)