Sunday, January 06, 2008

P.S I Love You

Okay, if you missed this the last time, here's another confession. I sometimes do enjoy chick flicks. If you look at my DVD collection, on one end, you'd find movies oozing with testosterone and action, like Top Gun, Blackhawk Down, and the Tom Clancy series. At the other end of the cabinet, sits Love, Actually, My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Bend It Like Beckham.
(The Vivid movies I keep under lock-and-key somewhere else!)
And so, Kris and I had a dinner date on Friday. Nice Italian restaurant, some Riesling, and then a movie.
P.S. I Love You.
Omifarkinggawd. If that wasn't a tearjerker, I don't know what is. Without giving anything away, it's a story about love, death, finding one's way again and letting go. In that order.
Maybe it was that time of the month for me. Maybe it's been a rough week (haven't had a weekend off in 2 weeks). Maybe my abstract dateline's been putting me under pressure. But holy cow, what a tearjerker. And folks, I'm not talking about those dainty moistened red-eyes type. This was the all-out tears-rolling-down-your-cheeks-like-your-brains-were-liquifyeing sort. I felt so dehydrated by the end of the movie I had postural dizziness. And Kris found 2 mountains of salt on her seat from the dried tears.
And we weren't alone. The theater was packed with couples, no doubt guys grudgingly going to this movie to please their better halves (ahem). There were sniffles and even sobs, galore. I know this tubby 50+ bearded man behind me was trying to suppress his sniffles.
Can't say the movie reviews were excellent. But we thoroughly enjoyed the show. Hillary Swank was good (and hot, too). And the rest of the night Kris kept trying to get me speak in an Irish accent whilst wearing my boxers with suspenders. So, if you're a sucker for punishment, go watch this show. You might find a tender side of yourself you never knew.
And I hear chicks love snags (Sensitive New Age Guys).