Wednesday, April 30, 2008

37 More Days

37 more days.
Yes, you can say I'm stressed. 37 more days to the wedding here, and then there's a 2nd wedding in Seremban in July. And then there's our imminent move (and the headaches that come with building a house). And a new job (start date August 4th).
Pepper in 2 national meetings at which I'll be presenting my research data. It's no wonder I'm losing my hair at an alarming rate.
But, back to the wedding. I'm anxious. But in a good/fun way, I guess. We picked out our wedding bands the other day. Had them sized. For Kristin's case, we had her band fused to the engagement ring. Which kinda made me realize we men had the wrong end of the deal.
For example, answer me this:
Why do women get engagement rings, while men don't?
Why do women get diamonds on their rings while ours are usually plain?? Combining the engagement and wedding bands, Kristin gets 21 individual diamonds, while when I asked for some bling-bling (just trying to be funny) my better half and the jeweller looked at me like I was queer.
Is it fair that women's rings are usually gold or platinum, while men's come in either stainless steel, titanium or some other less expensive metals? Mine a tungsten carbide two-toned ring. Strong enough that if an asteroid ever lands on me, you can use that ring for ID.
Ok, I'm being facetious. Outwardly I tell people I'm a wee bit nervous. My secretaries take delight in reminding me of my remaining days as a free man. Secretly though, I'm as excited as a kid on Christmas eve. I mean, this is big deal stuff. We're getting married! Two becomes one! And I get lifetime supply of free laundry and home-cooked meals. Wait, or did I get that the other way around?
Anyways. I'm sure there will be interesting updates in the month to come. Stay tuned.