Monday, June 02, 2008

Crunchtime

The countdown timer on my wall shows:
4 Days, 12 Hours, 48 Minutes.
Can't believe we're down to crunchtime. I remember the time when the timer showed 350 Days. Where did the time go?
To say we're stressed is an understatement. All throughout today my mind wasn't on work, I'm ashamed to say, but on the wedding. Because, after all, as far as the patient is concerned, he's here to see his doctor, not empathize about upcoming weddings.

But, one patient did give me good advice. Mr. G, whom I've been seeing the past 3 years for hypopituitarism, came with his wife today. I must have mentioned it to them the last time we met (8 months ago!), but the first thing he asks me was, "When's the wedding?"
Turns out, they had been married 40 years.
After we were done with his plan of care, he shares:
It's easy to forget the significance of this day. There are 101 wedding things to do: schedules, family, financial issues. Often, the couple just spends the day rushing from one thing to another, finally enjoying the moment when the day is over, and they both go 'Phew!'.
But really, if you think about it, that's not what the wedding is meant to be. I'm reminded of what Pastor David said to us when we last met for premarital planning.
It's the start of a beautiful, lifelong journey together. One that begins with 'I Do', that leads to decades of laughs, tears, hugs, warmth and love. It's when a person promises to be true, faithful and dedicated. It is when I pledge to Kristin, her family and my family that we shall look after each other, and function as one. It's the day, I thank God yet once again, for sending me this wonderful, caring and thoughful angel. It's a day that we both should enjoy, and never forget.
Yup, it's easy to forget that a wedding is all those things, and more. And it's certainly not about champagne and dancing and looking pretty (though those are bonuses).
And so, through the inevitable headaches we'll face on Saturday, we'll have to try and remember that this is our day, and ours to enjoy.
We leave for Milwaukee tomorrow night, and so I'm not sure how much I'll get to update this blog. If I don't, wish us luck, and pray for a sunny day!
Pictures to follow...