Friday, July 25, 2008

We're here!

Sorry for the lack of updates.
  • We got back Saturday afternoon
  • Sunday we picked up our dog (Chloe) and then helped my housemate of 5 years move to his new apartment (sniff sniff)
  • Monday my movers came and packed my stuff (lost my internet connection then) and loaded things onto the truck Tuesday
  • Wednesday we started driving down to Des Moines at 4:30 am and picked up the keys to our new home. We slept on the floor that night.
  • Thursday our stuff got delivered, along with the fridge, washer and dryer.
  • Today, I'm expecting the delivery of something I'm treating ourselves to: a new 46-inch Samsung LCD HDTV.
Despite having gone through internship I don't recall ever having been this physically tired. At least for hospital call you get to go home early the next day. Not so for us. We had (I swear to God) over 40 huge boxes to unpack (only through have of them so far) (the movers only unload our stuff in the designated rooms- we have to unpack). And they use packing paper for EVERYTHING- I found a box of paperclips wrapped in a huge wad of paper! They probably killed a hundred trees with my move. We filled up Kristin's CRV, I mean REALLY filled it up, and despite that two trips to the cardboard recycling plant wasn't enough.
My left elbow hurts, my left knee hurts, my right foot hurts. When my dad called yesterday to find out how things were, I had this overwhelming temptation to just start bawling for Mommy and Daddy. At least Mommy and Daddy can help us unpack!
We were so tired that I almost fell asleep in the restaurant yesterday. And it doesn't help that the jetlag only let me sleep 2-3 hours the last couple of nights.
Nonetheless, despite the fatigue, it's extremely exciting. I mean, this is OUR home. And despite the mess, we think it's beautiful (we're biased, obviously). The bummer is the internet/cable TV/phone will only be installed next Wednesday. Fortunately we were able to find an unsecured wifi network here (shhhh....) (thanks, anonymous neighbour!).
Will periodically update you readers. Photos to follow (only after the mess is gone, lar!).