Saturday, September 27, 2008

Formula 1

I admit, even half a globe away, I'm caught up in the excitement.
The inaugural Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix. I watched the practice runs this morning. Boy was it spectacular.
There's something about the sound of the F1 engines that makes you want to drive like a reckless moron on the streets. That banshee-like shrill of the engine in full rev, pausing only for a fraction of a second as they change gears.
But what makes this extra special is that it's the very first night race in Formula 1. And more than that, having been in Singapore just a few months ago, and having seen the sights and the path the drivers will take in this street race, I'm able to picture this much better, than say, the Sepang circuit.
I'm excited, yes. But I can't say I've been following the races as much as when I was in Malaysia. And I don't recognize half the drivers' names. Sad to say (I know I'm going to get flak for this), I'm still pretty much a Michael Schumacher fan. Too bad he's retired.
I'm probably going to be too lazy to drag my ass up at 6:30 am Sunday morning to watch the race live, but thanks to the wonders of technology, my faithful DVR will record it for me.
(and dear old Kristin won't know what hits her when I watch the race in full volume on my 5.1 surround system )