Thursday, April 16, 2009

An Appointment

One of my many nicknames in high school was 'The Professor'.
Heh, this was because a doctor cousin of mine gave me a medical book, The Human Body by renowned South African cardiothoracic surgeon Christiaan Barnard. And so, being the (horny) nerd I am, I devoured the pages in the book. Especially the parts about human sexuality and reproduction. And so, at 14, I knew much more of the theory than many of my peers (though being an all-boys' missionary school I had minimal interaction with the gentler sex until I was 18). Many of my friends, all of us in that weird curious phase, asked me questions from the anatomy of the female reproductive organs to how people had sex (this was after all Malaysia, and our sex-ed consisted of just 30 mins, during which our flustered female teacher told us to read pages X to Y and left the room).
Anyway, in a weird way maybe that was prophetic.

I just received word from the U that they are appointing me the rank of Assistant Professor.

Who would have thought??? On one hand it does make me kembang a bit, but on the other hand I'm fighting the overwhelming need to roll on the floor laughing my ass of.
As my sister pointed out, images of an old bespectacled balding man comes to mind. Not too far from the truth, I suppose. Even my wife admits she dated me because she had a thing for nerds.

Professor Vagus. Who would have thought??? Adult Smileys