Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!

Ahh, a lazy Sunday, just the way I like 'em.
Happy Father's Day, you dads (and dads to be) out there. Now that fatherhood is round the corner for me, I catch myself doing stuff and thinking in ways I never did.

Like how I spent a small fortune buying stuff, not the electronic and car toys I usually drool over, but over strange objects like breast pump nipples, diapers, crib mattress and feeding bottles. I'm excited about the much-anticipated arrival of our little one (technically 16 days to go but we'll see) and yet anxious and hoping she'll be OK. I think about our financial stability and my ability to provide for my growing family, in the near and the long-term future.

It makes me appreciate even more what my dad did for us, and what a wonderful father figure he is to us, to have raised and put a family of 4 kids through college. My parents get in in about 3 weeks- I'm also excited to have them play the role of grandparents to our daughter- being so far away from Malaysia, it's important for me to have my daughter stay connected to her roots and ancestry.

In the meantime, I suppose I have the best of both worlds now. There's no screaming, crying baby yet, but my wife considers me already a father, and so I'm getting the royal You-just-on-the-couch-I'll-do-all-the-work treatment. And yes, I know I look like a lazy bastard making my very pregnant and 1-cm dilated wife do all the work, but hey, it's Father's Day!