Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Of Ranks and Titles

If you've followed my blog long enough, you'd have correctly deduced that I'm an egomaniac. And all my life, I've enjoyed numerous titles and ranks.
In school, I was a member of the prefectorial board, and in my senior year, was elected Head Prefect (that's kinda like Head Nerd). I was a member of the St. John's Ambulance Brigade, a volunteer first-aid organization. I rose from the rank of Private to Lance Corporal to Corporal, then Sergeant, and became the first Cadet Leader of my division in 10 years. I was the Vice Chairman when I left school.
Career-wise, it was Medical Student, then Resident, then Fellow and after 12 years of medical education, Consultant Endocrinologist and Assistant Professor.
But, I have to say, the titles that are most important to me by far, are:
1) Husband
2) Father
If you are a parent, you'll know what I'm talking about. How you can come home after a horribly bad day, pick up your child (never mind if she's crying, or all drooly), and hold her, and suddenly all the stresses of the day just melts away. Suddenly you realize the reason you exist. And you never knew it was possible to love such a little person so much. How, looking at her you see your late grandparents, your parents and yet you know she is going to be a direct line to your descendants, long after you're gone. You see your future, in those precious little eyes. You wonder what those perfect little hands will do and how they will change a world to come. And every single day, every time you see your little angel sleep, as she takes your breath away, you exhale a sigh of thanks to God, for blessing you and your wife with something so magical.

I have much to learn, but I love being a father.
(ask me again in 16 years when she's a teenager and her cellphone bill includes $150 of text messages!)