Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye Hello

As we begin to countdown to the new year and the new decade (Ok, I won't be nerdy about this, but the mathematicians amongst you know that the new decade really begins in 2011, not 2010), we should take a moment to reflect on the year that was, and be thankful for the blessings we received.
For us, undoubtedly the highlight was the addition to our family, she who has become the center of our universe and has spelt the end of restful, interruption-free nights, our very own crying/smiling/pooping drool-making machine Allison. For Kristin and I, this has changed our lives in so many priceless ways, and despite the fatigue, we are enjoying every single moment of it.
I also can't help but to look back. 15 years ago, when we were 'cool' high school graduates; my pals and I would gather for our mamak sessions. We'd stay up, and counted the hours, minutes and then the seconds down, and when it hit midnight, we'd joyfully celebrate the coming of a new year (yes, guys, I miss you all!).
Now, I'm quite a bit older. And I know exactly how we'll count down. We'll probably watch TV, just the two of us, and do a 'New York Countdown'. That is, count down with NYC, using Eastern Standard Time, be done with the festivities by 10 pm, and be in bed by 10:01 pm. In fact the last couple of years, I've had to struggle to be awake till 10. Sigh, such is getting older.
Though the most ironic thing is, my parents and inlaws are planning their own gatherings where they'll actually stay up till midnight to countdown. Hmm, the retired parents are out playing. While the kids are feeling too old to stay up. You have to admit this sounds pretty damn funny.
Anyways, I wish you readers out there a very Happy New Year 2011. Whatever 2010 held, be it blessings or mishaps, the year is almost done, and may the new year bring you health and happiness.

And please, be safe on the roads!