Friday, July 08, 2011

Malaysia: On the Verge of a Revolution?

Reading all that is going on in Malaysia, I can't help but feel maybe a bit of apprehension for the safety and freedom of the Rakyat, but much more than that, I feel hopeful.

Being so far away from my native homeland, I can't say I understand her ins and outs and ongoing issues in detail anymore; I can't say I understand Bersih's goals 100%, or why some people (politicians aside) claim they have underlying motives. Also being one who isn't paying Malaysian taxes, perhaps I have little right to complain.

Then again, I still consider myself Malaysian. And so I believe I have the right to an opinion...


I'm hopeful that the rally that will happen today (Malaysian time) will bring the much needed change that our nation needs.

For far too long, Malaysian has been controlled, monopolized by one political group. And with monopoly and absolute power, comes arrogance, corruption, inefficiency and ultimately the downfall of a nation as a whole. When rewards are handed out not for quality of work, but for race, or family or friends, or on a 'you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours' basis, then the country suffers.

Malaysians as a whole are just sick and tired of the bullshit that is being churned out and forced down our throats. The unimaginable amount of money wasted on stupid projects, like spending RM 1.8 million to upkeep the official Malaysian Facebook page. Or the RM 50 million to give every Malaysian an email account (when there are numerous free accounts out there). And oh yea, is it just coincidence that this contract was awarded to a family member of one of the leaders? At the same time, roads get more expensive. Goods. Gasoline. Etc etc etc.

We're sick and tired of 'leaders' playing the race card and threatening racial rioting if certain things were not enforced when the truth is they are just trying to drive the Rakyat apart to use certain groups to support their cause. Because they are worried that without their poison, the people are actually deep down just, and fair, and honest, and would like to judge others based on their action, not their skin color.

We're sick of the government twisting things around, and adjusting the law to suit their purposes. Like arresting people who are merely expressing their God-given right to free speech. And to stoop so low as to arrest people for merely wearing yellow (the color of the group rallying for fair and free elections). And then to deny them of legal representation, pulling the ole 'Emergency Ordinance' hat trick. Claiming that the act of speaking up as a group will pose a threat to national security. When in fact, it is a threat to their political power and money. And if it's national security you're worried about, why not arrest that asshole who was waving the keris and making threats to other groups? Or the other asshole who made subtle threats to the Chinese?

This rally is not about race. It's not about personal glory. It's not about a single political group. This is about wanting change, and while it will be some time before the next general elections to see any results, the next 24 hours will be interesting.

To my fellow Malaysian: be safe, and while expatriates like me are far away, our thoughts and prayers and spirit will be with you.

Here's my middle finger to the corrupted out there; may the next elections bring the change that is so much needed.