Friday, August 12, 2011

How to make a burger

So I decided to try my hand at this for the first time. And I have to say, it turned out pretty damn good (caution to the reader: self praise means nothing. Proceed at your own risk).


Start off with ground beef. 85/15 or 80/20 should do it. I woulda gone for the 80/20 but my wife apparently loves me and doesn't want me to die of an MI at 40. So, it's 15% fat it is, then.Other ingredients I added included basil and onions (from our 'garden' Taa Daa!). You'll also need a teaspoonful of salt, garlic.


Finely chop the basil and onions.


Mix the chopped up ingredients with the minced meat. And being Malaysian, I just HAD to add a dash of soy sauce and curry powder. Mix well with your fingers. If you do this after a pangsai session, I've been told the burgers will taste better.
Make apple-sized balls of meat, carefully compressing them to ensure it'll stick together. Flatten them on a platter, and make a depression in the middle with your thumb (so that you'll know when it's cooked- the dimple sticks out)

Grill away on medium heat. It took our grill about 5-7 minutes to cook the patties to medium.


Slice of cheese on the patties while it's still hot to partially melt it.



Serve with some miniscule portions of veggies (we had asparagus) to appease your wife that this is a 'balanced' meal. And then go feed your canivorous side!