Saturday, November 12, 2011

We're Off

Woo Hoo!
Looks like perfect snowboarding weather in Breckenridge, Colorado!


Yes, after a long lapse, we're hitting the slopes. Yea, I know, kinda hard to ski or snowboard living in the amazing flatlands of the midwest.
I took up snowboarding when I was in medical school. It was inevitable:
- Growing up in Malaysia and not having seen snow before
- Having your medical school only 60 minutes away from the Canadian Rockies
- Having a cute Japanese classmate who was into snowboarding (in retrospect, it was stupid to do something just to impress a chick. Learn well, kids)

The wife and I are leaving on a couples' trip to Colorado. The last time we skied/snowboarded was 4 years ago. Thanks to her parents who will be flying in to babysit Alli, this will be our first trip anywhere without our daughter. And, after a harrowing few months at work and some other challenges we've had to face in the last month, plus a stupidly busy call well, this will be a much-needed getaway.
I miss the feeling of the snowboard gliding on the soft, fresh white powdery snow. The contrast between the colors of the winter gear against the whiteness. The laughs and shrieks of people, against the deafening silence of the mountains.

We rented a ski-in-ski-out condo by the slopes, with an outdoor hot tub. We can't wait (ask me again next week if I end up breaking a leg!)