Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Seeking Advice

I'm throwing this out to all you physicians in Malaysia as I haven't a clue to the answer.
Someone I know was diagnosed with sleep apnea and was told he needed to be on CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure), which is pretty standard treatment here.
Except he was quoted a price of RM 10,000.
And when he wanted his polysomnogram report, he was told it was "confidential information" and he cannot be given a copy.

My questions:
1) Does anyone know what these devices may cost (they cost about US$700 to 1200 here I believe) in Malaysia? I'm surprise by the cost quoted (public hospital, too!)
2) Isn't a patient's "confidential" medical records the property of the patient?? Here, we are not even legally allowed to refuse to share a patient's file with him if requested.

Would appreciate any info, thanks!