Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Merry Christmas

Have been oncall for the last week.
Phew, finally got to hand the pager off this evening and get to enjoy Christmas. But I have to say, I took a moment this morning to reflect.
I saw Mrs. A for rounds. A dear old lady, but who has been in the hospital since October for a catastrophic event. She had been on the ventilator for most of the time, though was extubated a few days ago. She must have felt that she was going to live here forever, so I held her hand and reminded her that though the progress was slow, she has made a lot of headway. And as I left, she weakly said, "Merry Christmas, doctor!",
Perhaps I'm a silly sentimentalist, but I left the room teary-eyed. Especially that my 82-year old patient who likely will not live to see next Christmas was wishing me Merry Christmas.
I took a moment to say a prayer of thanks for something we take for granted all too often- our health. That me, my family are in relatively good health. And then I said a prayer for those who were ill and had to spent the holiday in the hospital. And for a moment, was ashamed that I had been whining about having to work, when at least I was able to come home after rounds.
At home now, we are gearing down for the night. The girls are excited about Santa coming. And so we have our air mattress in our living room. And we have flashlights and the binoculars out- we'll be having a sleepover downstairs, hoping to catch a glimpse of St. Nick. And believe it or not, I'm having a blast with my family, being caught up in their excitement and all.

 

Dear readers, from my family to yours: Merry Christmas, and may this season bring you happiness, health and love.