Sunday, June 21, 2015

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day, guys! To all the dads, grand-dads and great-grand-dads. To those here, and to those who have left us.
Being a father myself now, I realize more than ever how vital a role dads play. After all, as they say, a dad is a boy's first superhero, and a girl's first love. No matter how we complain about our parents as kids, you realize that your parents are indeed your first role models and the mold into which you grow as you find your place in life.
It's scary during those moments when you utter the words you swore you'd never use, the very words that your mom and dad said. It's scary when you look in the mirror early in the morning when you're half asleep, and realize you're looking at your younger dad.
I'm never going to claim that I'm the best dad in the world- I realize there is much I do wrong and there is much I have yet to learn. But I try, and I understand the roles dads and moms play (not that this cannot be interchanged), and that in our household, I'm the fixer, the problem solver, and also the disciplinarian. The girls know when I'm on scene, they're in trouble. I'm also the worker- which partly saddens me as I hate being away at work- and though mom works just as hard, it seems that I'm the one with more meetings, coming home later and leaving earlier, and working weekends. It reminds me of the sacrifices dad made to provide for our family. And for that I shall forever be indebted to my parents for all that I've achieved.
Happy Father's Day, dad! We love you!
 
 
(Disclaimer: I know I should have made a Mother's day post too last month- but I got lazy- this is not meant to say dads do everything. The reality is the moms do more than us. But at least one day a year, I get to feel like a superhero!)